Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:11:58 +0000

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 12:01:05PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
> ** reduce the number of server roundtrips
>
>   If build_revision and update can ask for all the changesets it
>   needs in a single archive transaction, our latency penalty
>   goes away.

That's a little too strong. You don't actually need to ask for
everything up front, you just need to get the next request to the
server before it has finished sending the current reply. Sending
everything at the start is just the most trivial form.

Consider the case of an arbitrary merge operator. The most trivial
form is replay --list, which takes a pretty much arbitrary list of
changesets and applies them in sequence (but don't assume it can
accept one single delta - maybe it wants to accumulate the patch
rejects and classify them, or something like that).

Or perhaps it wants to fetch a whole pile of archive logs, and
retrieve selected changesets based on their contents.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |