Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: file sharing semantics

From: Rob Weir
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: file sharing semantics
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 18:52:19 +1100

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 09:34:28AM -0500, Neal Becker said
> Rob Weir wrote:

> >> Doesn't the tool also get involved?  It seems to me that cvs changes mode
> >> 444 of files I checkin, even though I made them 664.  So, my question is,
> >> what does tla do?  Will it archive with the mode of the original source,
> >> or modify it?
> >
> > Yes, tla will include the file permissions in the changeset, restoring
> > them again on "get".  It doesn't store ownership, however (on Linux, at
> > least, you need to be root to change ownership anyway).
> >
> > Or are you wondering about how it will be stored in the archive itself?
> >

> My experience with cvs is that someone else checked in a file, and now I
> cannot checkin an update to it.  Yes, I can manually go into the cvs repos
> and mv the other file out of the way, and manually replace it with a copy I
> own.  But cvs won't let me checkin.
>
> Will I have a similar result with tla?  WWTLAD (What would tla do?)

tla's whole archive system is different to CVS's.  In the archive, files
are NEVER deleted or modified, so you don't need permissions to do
either.  All that happens is a new directory is created (below the
location of the previous revision), and a "lock directory" is moved from
the previous revision's dir to the new one.

So, uh, if you set your umask correctly, it will all Just Work :-)

--
Rob Weir <address@hidden> | address@hidden  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:             quarter BLU-97 A/B War Crimes propaganda airframe