Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:44:29 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    > On Mar 5, 2004, at 20:21, Tom Lord wrote:

    > > Personally, I have a little bit of trouble taking case insentive
    > > filesystems seriously.

    >   Turns out there are quite a few UNIX and Windows users out there with
    > case insensitive filesystems and this particular design decision seems
    > to do very little other than to break archives that are ever checked
    > out and then recommitted by people who use them.

    >   Does the rearrangement of the structure in this part of the design
    > have any positive effects?  It was brought up in this thread by a user
    > who finds it counterintuitive.  I don't believe this user is alone, but
    > I wouldn't be complaining if it hasn't caused me to actually break
    > archives when working on cross-platform, multi-user, distributed
    > applications.

I don't understand what the subdir structure has to do with case
sensitivity.   Can you explain?

_If_ you are correct that case issues effect many (I've only ever
heard you complain) -- there are sane ways to handle that (i.e., with
a VU namespace handler).

How do you cope with #include, btw?   And, what does tar do?