Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: 10 Mar 2004 18:15:40 -0500

> I acknowledge that the problems found when using them are real and
> serious but here's the thing: this isn't where to solve them.   Ask
> people not to use names that differ only in case.   And, yes, by all
> means, lobby your vendor and/or think about how you can escape from
> being dependent on your bogus vendor.

The problem is that by changing the order from archive/branch to
branch/archive in the {arch} patch-logs you introduced a global naming
problem where:

- Mr Foo says "oh, I'll always fully capitalize my
  categories so there's no issue with case-insensitivity".
- Mr Bar says "oh, I'll never capitalize my
  categories so there's no issue with case-insensitivity".
- and poor user X, who is also very careful about case-insensitivity,
  tries to merge patches from both Mr Foo and Mr Bar.

As long as the archive/branch ordering is used consistently everywhere the
case-sensitivity issue can be solved locally, but by mixing the two you
introduced a global constraint.

        Stefan