Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Inode Sigs and tla on FAT/NFS (was: tla on nfs only

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Inode Sigs and tla on FAT/NFS (was: tla on nfs only)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:44:53 -0500

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:35:21PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Inode nubers aren't consisent at all on fat, and afaik on nfs they aren't
> as soon as you remount your nfs volume (just like device numbers).

I think they're not _guaranteed_ to be consistent across remounts, but in
practice, often are -- the solaris NFS servers at my work, for instance, just
use the underlying UFS inode numbers for NFS-exports, so they are always the
same.  Device numbers on the other hand, seem to be quite inconsistent; it
looks like these are generated on the client end and with my linux nfs client
at least, are all over the map.

We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo