Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ANNOUNCE: Spaces in filenames, finished

From: chth
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] ANNOUNCE: Spaces in filenames, finished
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:49:22 +0100

> The problem is not with special tools, but with general purpose ones.
>
> I should explain to my potential users, why backslash was chosen and I
> honestly can't. I see only problems with such choice. Users who need
> fancy characters will constantly make errors on their unix shells.

With another escaping character users would make similar errors. Tools
such as shell scripts just need to be escaping aware, there is no
exception for general purpose tools!

There is the 'tla escape' command to make using escaping easier, just
use it (if you really wish i can add a -n num option to do num rounds of
escaping/unescaping for nested shellcode).

        Christian