Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:30:59 +0000

On 22 Mar 2004 14:00:33 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Tom Lord wrote:
>
> >It's much simpler for everyone to use source code freely if the public
> >licenses are always guaranteed to be compatible.  There is no
> >risk-free way to do that, that I see, but the FSF has an awefully good
> >track record at managing the GPL and, additionally, is legally
> >constrained to not screw up too badly by their status as a non-profit
> >public-interest corporation.   I'd suggest using v2+.
>
> However, the FSF also released the Free Documentation License, which has
> caused some difficulty because GFDLed documents aren't necessarily Free
> enough for Debian.

Is not FDL intended more for physical books and other tangible property,
than for intangible software documentation like man pages or README's?
My understanding is that FSF always stated clearly, GPL is more than fine
for everything to which the "source" meaning may be applied.

I fail to understand why people use FDL as an example against GPL v2+.
This is bogus. GNU FDL is designed for adoption by commercial publishers.
Surely, GPL and FDL are two different licenses, use the most appropriate
for you. If you don't write and sell books, GPL v2+ is more appropriate.

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-gfdl.html
  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-doc.html

Regards,
Mikhael.