Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: WebDAV

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: WebDAV
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:29:36 -0700

On Apr 9, 2004, at 6:36, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

:-) maybe we need something easier than webdav and sftp in order to provide access? Monotone (another interesting system) uses a CGI based mechanism as well as SMTP based mechanisms for propagating changes.

before people get their dander up, sftp is only really good for providing access to people you trust. There may be ways of creating a chrooted environment but usually, most security systems are not built with humans in mind. They are usually way to complicated, error prone, and stoic.

webdav seems to have a similar complexity reputation. Not surprising since it was promulgated by Microsoft. Maybe with a simple recipe, we can fix the startup hurdles.

I just don't get this at all. This is the configuration on my arch server (stock Mac OS X Apache):

<IfModule mod_dav.c>
    DavLockDB /tmp/dav.lock

    Alias /arch /home/web/arch

    <Location /arch/>
        Dav On
    </Location>
</IfModule>

        (I've also got a .htaccess in that directory for authentication).

I've also done a vanilla build of Apache 2 on Solaris and have a similar config in it running out of my home directory somewhere. I've got an Apache 1.3.something with mod_dav on IRIX working with no effort as well.

I just can't understand why anyone would say this is difficult if you've configured an Apache to do anything else.

--
Dustin Sallings