Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: WebDAV

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: WebDAV
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 17:36:22 -0400

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
I've people described using sftp and webdav but I'm really not clear on what's the meta protocol describing data transfer. Maybe I just haven't found the right documentation.

Colin proposed a protocol a while back:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-01/msg01069.html

Tom proposed taking it up a notch: (in abstraction level)
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-01/msg01108.html

If you want to base a protocol on existing ones, I see roughly 3 options:

1 Implement Colin's RFC
2 Implement a the new protocol as a pseudo-file-sytem, using the pfs commands described in libarch/pfs.h as a rough guide 3 Implement the new protocol as a non-pfs archive (all current archives, using the commands described in libarch/archive.h as a rough guide.

Option 2. is probably easiest. Option 3 could be quite easy if it was implemented using existing code for the backend.

If you base the server functionality on tla's existing code, you can probably work on it in chunks, converting first one piece, then another to use file descriptors in a client/server model. When everything's done, you'll be able to use it remotely over sockets.

Aaron