Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:12:29 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

But an important part of the data is "what has been merged already",
otherwise you might end up with all the patch-logs added but only some of
the corresponding patches applied.

Again, this is tool-specific. If the tool doesn't keep track of what it's doing, you'll want something that does. Depending on how interactive you like it.

Basically, instead of 3 trees, I'd rather have 1 tree where each changed
<file>.new.  We'd also invent some way to represent file move/add/delete.

You're just a hair away from reinventing the changeset.

Then the merge can be done file-by-file with an obviously
fail-safe behavior.

You mean, not operate in the project tree at all, so you can't hurt it. Sooner or later, something's got to modify the project tree, and whatever it is can fail.

Your final output could be a changeset, and apply-delta is robust with valid changesets, but I wonder how it handles invalid ones?

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology