Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a brief note on "delta compression"

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a brief note on "delta compression"
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 18:32:55 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 05:03:18PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

2. 50 is a pretty good number with tla--devo--1.2 over 1MB/s DSL.

Does knowing the rough connection speed help the calculation at all?

Sadly, no. To guess how long it will take, we need data about the cumulative size of the patches vs the total size of the import revision.

If so,
perhaps it could be made an optional .arch-params parameter (it would be only
a hint of course, since both ends of the connection matter, but for those of
us using a 56K dialup, the maximum speed is all too obvious :-).

Gah, I thought it was just Tom on dialup.

But making it an optional parameter can still help, so long as the standard deviation of patch sizes isn't too wonky. I'm not sure what the right level of granularity is: per-user? per-archive? per-category? Per package-version?

I think for my usage, 50 is way too low, BTW, but I don't have any hard data
to back it up.  Hmmm, maybe I ought to do some timing (it's just annoying
because it's _always_ excruciatingly slow, and I'm really measuring which way
is more excruciating).

I suppose tla could keep track of how long it takes to download a patch from a given archive or package-version, vs how long for an import revision. Could wind up being a massive bag-o-numbers, though.

Aaron