Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] feature plan -- downstream branches

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] feature plan -- downstream branches
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:15:33 -0400

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 11:45:10PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >     > I don't think ":" is a permitted file name character on Windows.

address@hidden windows...  ":" seems perfect otherwise [the "hostname separator
on
unix" objection doesn't appear very significant -- that's only in very
specific contexts, none of which probably have much impact for arch branch
names]

[Since windows has other problems with arch filenames already, can't we just
say "filenames will be mangled on windows" and be done with it?]

> > Ah.  How about "%"?
>
> It's a meta character in some common shells.

Which common shells?

Also I wonder if it could cause problems with html, since html quoting uses
"%" (er, right?).

> "," would probably be better (provided that it actually works), or ".".

Isn't "." already legal in branch names?  If so, I suspect it might be used
commonly already, with people embedding upstream versions in branch names,
etc.

"," seems nicer than "%" -- at least it looks more like a separator ("%" sort
looks mushed together, e.g., compare foo%bar with foo,bar).

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff