Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Translation of tla

From: Tez Kamihira
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Translation of tla
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:52:47 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:30:46 -0400, Yannick Gingras <address@hidden> said:

>   I was wondering how hard it would be to translate tla. I've already
> used gettext to translate a Python program but I've never done it
> in C.  Are there any ongoing effort to do the translation of tla ?  If
> not, can anyone suggest a road-map ?
>
> Something in 10 easy steps would be nice...

I'm quite interested in this work too. :)

IMO, the most difficult part comes from many static help messages in
tla.  Let me introduce an example.

./src/tla/libarch/cmd-my-id.c :

    t_uchar arch_cmd_my_id_help[] = ("print or change your id\n"
                                     "With no argument print your arch id.\n"
                                     "\n"
                                              [...]
                                     "to be printed.\n");

You know, this message is _global_, not _local_. Thus, we can't write
the following statement:

                                    +---- Look.

    t_uchar arch_cmd_my_id_help[] = _("print or change your id\n"
                                     "With no argument print your arch id.\n"
                                     "\n"
                                              [...]
                                     "to be printed.\n");

Because we can use _() operation only in _normal functions_.
Do you see ?

Before doing actual gettext()'ization, most of the above type of
strings must be moved to each corresponding local functions,
first. Clearly, it's very big deal and would be tedious work. We
need many people's supports.

But if this kind of globally modification would be done, I'd translate
tla's relevant all messages to Japanese, at least.

I will. I promise.  :)

      - Tez