Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:32:23 -0400

Jan Hudec wrote:
My question was more to know why Arch need a so specific embedded
langage. But i should wait for your third roadmap !

For one thing arch needs SOME embeded language. The reason is, if
nothing else, the number of wrapper and scripts around tla that exist.
The kind of stuff they do is mostly glueing primitive commands, which is
too cumbersome to do in C.

Actually, tla includes some infrastructure for calling user-level commands-- "update" actually calls the "replay" or "apply-delta" user commands. So it may not be as cumbersome as you think.

So the idea is, that tla should have the
primitive commands in C, cleaned up, simple and flexible. And a simple
interpreter to build a user friendly interface on top of them.

The plan is *also* to make libtla into a real library, which can then have bindings for various languages, scripting or otherwise. So Furth's not necessary for the purpose of creating friendly interfaces.

But there's a lot of sense in mixed-language programming; using a scripting language for the high-level stuff, and using C for the low-level stuff. I just don't know whether the advantages of using Furth instead of an existing language will outweigh the disadvantages that
- No one knows Furth
- There are no Furth libraries or GPLed code that we can use
- Furth will take time and effort to develop

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology