Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Anselm Lingnau
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:08:01 +0200

Jeremy Shaw wrote:

> I think the basic model is, the VM will have someway to mark commands
> as safe or unsafe. There will also be a way to set which unsafe
> commands a program can run on a per program, per command basis. This
> would allow you to implement a large number of possible security
> policies...

Sandboxing at the VM level isn't easy to get right, as, e.g., the Java folks
have found out to their chagrin.

Incidentally, the frequently-maligned language Tcl does sandboxing at what
appears to amount to the Pika level in the proposed arch-itecture, which
seems to work rather well. Too bad Tcl isn't politically acceptable for other
reasons :^)

One of the lessons to learn from the sandbox feature in Tcl is that merely
disallowing commands as »unsafe« doesn't quite cut it -- it is useful (and
often necessary) to be able to execute nominally »unsafe« commands under
interpreters«. In safe interpreters, potentially-dangerous commands are
»hidden« and cannot be used in programs running in the safe interpreter;
commands in a safe interpreter can »trap« into a trusted interpreter to do
unsafe things (where the trusted interpreter will presumably check any
arguments very carefully), and hidden commands in a safe interpreter can be
invoked from a trusted interpreter.

Personally I would much rather see arch »librified« rather than endowed with a
VM and programming language all of its own (a Tcl/Tk binding would be nice).
However, since Tom says what will happen, I just hope that the VM changes
will also indeed accelerate the librification.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
Linup Front GmbH, Robert-Bosch-Strasse 7, 64293 Darmstadt, Germany