Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:06:25 -0700

On Jul 19, 2004, at 4:23 PM, Miles Bader wrote:

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:59:37PM -0700, Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:
I think the crimes perpetrated by Janet Reno (Waco, Montana) were much
worse then this news item. For one thing, they were actual not
theoretical.

Oh god you're one of _those_...?

 Nope. I'm me. :-)

I think that Freedom, the Freedom of all peoples/creeds/religions/whatever is precious and promiscuous. Its precious in that we must strive always to protect it, and promiscuous in that we should spread it around.

The best way to do both of those things involves neither pessimism (pessimists never do anything), nor optimism (optimists get themselves into trouble too easily), but a realistic assessment of how things really stand. That's getting harder and harder these days to tell as the Left and Right scream at each other.

Meanwhile, I think that speaking softly and reasonably is the best plan, but some people just need a good thumping. However, thumping doesn't convince people so if it gets to that point, don't do things half way. Its a soldiers job to kill people, not be a policeman.

I'm socially liberal, I feel its in my own best interest to ensure the maximum freedoms for everyone, both financially, and socially. Even for things I disagree with, like abortion, I think that its stupid to try to legislate people to be good.

Conversely, I'm fiscally conservative, in that taking a $1 from someone "rich", then turning that into $.40 for someone "poor" after its been ground through umpteen layers of government is probably less effective then just having the original "rich" guy spend the $1. The left often seems to miss simple facts of economic reality or history, which is that the more economic freedom people have, the more prosperity they tend to have.

A pox on both your parties is often my stance. I'm arguing more from the right here, but I argue from the left with my right wing friends.

And just to confuse you some more, I'm a pragmatic software engineer who does energy healing in his spare time at his local martial arts studio. Boxes and preconceptions are boring...I like to break out of mine. :-)

So going back to the original topic, while its worth watching what happens, and going to the barricades if its bad, I don't think the election delay thing requires us to run around screaming "Fascism" or even "Facism". I think the Waco and Ruby Ridge episodes probably weren't fascist either, just incredible bungling, but it really bothers me that that kind of stuff can still be going on.

It makes no more sense for the left to trust the FBI in a Democratic administration then it makes for the right to trust the FBI in a Republic administration. If you truly think that the DHS is the first step towards a fascist state, then what do you think about Ruby Ridge? The only logical answer to me is that the federal government is a bunch of idiots in all administrations, and we better make sure that they don't get any more power...

 Pierce