Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: nadim
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:16:21 +0200

On Monday 26 July 2004 09:40 pm, Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:
>   However, our foreign policy in toto has been towards more democracy.
> No doubt
> you'll come up with tons of counterexamples, and I'm not going to argue
> with
> you about those, there's no point. There were under 40 democracies 50
> years
> ago, there are 140 now. The US deserves some credit for that. I think
> that
> is what Mr. Bild is referring to.
Isn't this very typical of you? you _know_ I have counter example for the
things you _don't_ write about but you _still_ bring figures like 40 vs 140
(please start listing the 140 democrcies It sounds too much like a certain
coalition). And I realy don't think the US deserves much credits for people
going towards democracy. The US foreign policy has been terrible for many
countries that wanted "their" democracy not something approved in Washington.
So here is a question/demand. Please Pierce could you tell us about cases
where the US had a role in bringing democracy in some (out of 110 countries
you can certainly find more than one) countries. You don't need to give us
all the details (drawn us in them) and it doesn't even need to be the
official story. I'd like to hear your opinion.

>    There are a whole bunch of things you don't understand about the US,
> so
> much so that I'm afraid I don't know where to begin. I do know that you
> don't
> really understand how 9/11 affected us, and changed our attitudes.
So you are also in the buisiness of reading minds and knowing what the other
can or can not OK.

>   Here's one though: In my more cynical moments, IMAO, we don't have a
> choice between Bush and Kerry, ....
>   How you feel about these choices depends on how you feel about those
> particular cronies.
I fail to find democracy represented here. Where is the "demos/people"? What
you described is the URSS. Is that what you mean?

> > IMHO, Bush re-election wouldn't surprise me the least and if Kerry is
> > elected, I don't think it would change a damn thing!
>
>    So you're agreeing with me again... Better watch out...
We agree on the "It wouldn't change a thing" not on what needs to be changed.

Cheers, Nadim.