Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to avoid conflict when backporting/cherypicking

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to avoid conflict when backporting/cherypicking
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:19:45 -0500

Milan Cvetkovic <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for responding.

No problem.

> Sometimes you discover a bug that has already been fixed in one of the
> newer releases, and customer wants only "patch" or "service pack," and
> customer is always right, right :-)

Of course, I didn't mean to sound like "guh, you're using arch wrong
you heathen!"  Personally, I sometimes find arch is easier to use in
"real world" contexts after I better understand it in "ideal"
contexts.

> There are some missing parts here, but the part shown is actually
> prety close to reality, where both proj-bugfix--1.0 and proj-main--2.0
> are tags of proj--main--1.0--version-0

Oh, that's actually a bit different than how I understanded the
drawing, but I believe the solution should have been the same.

> Thanks, I think this should do it, will try next time.
>
> tree-sync is one of those commands which is not yet clear to me...

Like Aaron described in his email, it updates your patch log history
to contain copies of all the patches present in another revision.
It's one of those commands that we don't like to emphasize much
because it's more of a "real world" tool than one of our "ideal"
tools.

For the most part, you'll probably only need it when using replay
--skip-present and you don't want missing to list the skipped patches
anymore.