Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to avoid conflict when backporting/cherypicking

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to avoid conflict when backporting/cherypicking
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:46:16 -0500

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, I use sync-tree as part of a two-step operation I call "reject".

I had thought about that use case for a while, but I'm not so sure
about it anymore.  It sounds kinda neat to be able to say "oh, I'm
just going to reject that patch" and do so by pulling in their patch
log entries, but the consequence seems to be that later on if the
patch gets cleaned up or you change your mind, you've already screwed
with history.

I think it'd be better to have another layer where you can specify
dont-care patches which tla missing would skip over -- an entry in
your patch log should mean that a patch has been *completely* merged
in and arch's history sensitive merging depends on this.