Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and autotools projects.

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and autotools projects.
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:52:15 +0200

> Whichs files is wise to include under revision control some of the
> files change alot in the first time of the project and later on they
> seldom change. (like aclocal and configure etc) (it is nice to have
> them when you check out a project and it is "professor" friendly if
> they just have to type "./configure";make;make install

I'd never include generated files in a repository. Instead, shipping
them in the tarball, and providing a script that runs
autoconf/automake/libtool/etc in the right order with the right
arguments (if any is required) is what I prefer.

A user who compiles from source, especially from source checked out from
a version control system, should be able to install a few packages,
methinks. (The script which is shipped to regenerate the necessary files
might even warn the user if some of the autotools are missing).