[Gnu-arch-users] Re: CVS gateway using cscvs -- tags and branches?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: CVS gateway using cscvs -- tags and branches?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:16:18 +0900

Martin Langhoff <address@hidden> writes:
> As you can see, non-branch cvs tags are not addressed, and I find that
> troubling.  Reading through the wiki, I can't find any reference to
> anything that looks like good old cvs tagging. The practice, as I see it,
> is to refer to patchsets (repo/project--branch--version--patchset-NN) as
> a lightweight means of refering to a particular point in the project
> history.

Yes; is this not sufficient?

> In fact, and looking at it in detail, cvs tags can tag across unrelated
> versions of files, so they are, in a sense, patchset-independent. Is
> there anything equivalent in Arch as it stands? Any hints as to how you
> would translate it?

Why would you want to?  Do you actually know of somebody using tags in such
a manner?

The only problem I can see is if the changeset detection done by cscvs is
not correct -- then there might conceivably be no point in the generated
arch history that corresponds to a particular tag.  I suspect whether this
happens or not has a lot to do with the practices in common use by the
developers who are using this CVS repository (I don't use cscvs, but this
seems to make sense).

In any case, you have to keep in mind that arch and CVS are really very
different, and you're simply not going to get a perfect gateway.

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein