Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Features command for arch

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Features command for arch
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden (James Blackwell)

    > ddaa and I put our heads together not long ago, and we came up with a new
    > feature that would probably help programs like pyarch and aba. This new
    > command, called "tla features" would list features and feature version
    > numbers. One could also query either for a specific feature, or a specific
    > version of a feature. Please see the example output at the end of this
    > email.

How would user's benefit from such a feature?  How would it make arch
better?  Why is it important to work on now?  What is the definition
of "a feature"?  How do implementors know whether or not they should
say that such-and-such a feature is present?  Who shall be the
arbitrator of "feature names"?   How does this relate to the idea of
standardizing arch with formal standards docs?