Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argu

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] tla dosen't handle '--' as end of option argument
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:24:30 +0000

On 12 Sep 2004 09:08:25 -0400, Miles Bader wrote:

> However the way tla typically uses `--', it separates file lists (and some
> other sorts of lists) -- but non-file arguments such as revision names still
> precede it.  This is non-posixy, but it's in fact damned useful, because it
> allows one to specify such lists while _still_ omitting preceding non-file
> arguments (so they get their default value); since these preceding arguments
> are by virtue of restricted syntax not confusable with options, this is a
> non-ambiguous, and very handy system.
>
> I would object to any change that made me type more just to be pedantic
> about some standard in a way that simply doesn't matter very much.

I would not call it pedantic, and rather support POSIX where possible.

[I am not objective, since I was unexpectedly beaten yesterday. In one of
my programs I used the POSIX options and though everything must be fine.
But I forgot that the old GNU cp had -P meaning --parents; the new cp is
now POSIX compatible, -P means --no-dereference instead, as required.]

Here is a suggestion that requires even less typing and still preserves
"--" for its intended POSIX meaning.

Use "-" to cut the list of certain positional parameters. Like:

  tla undo - file1 file2

The following is ok too:

  tla undo -q - file1 file2
  tla undo -q revision file1 file2
  tla undo -q revision - file1 file2

Adding "--" would be possible too, authough somewhat useless here:

  tla undo -q -- - file1 file2
  tla undo -q -- revision file1 file2
  tla undo -q -- revision - file1 file2

Regards,