Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Preliminary Arch Cache available

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Preliminary Arch Cache available
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:28:31 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:48:36PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

- option to cache each and every archive.

Oh, but you don't usually want to cache local archives. Maybe you'd specify "uncached:" for local archives, and otherwise, they'd be cached.

Um, local archives usually have a filename instead of a pseudo-URL; can't you
just notice that?

I'm just thinking on my feet here, but some apparently-local paths aren't actually local. FUSE and LUFS, maybe even NFS or SMB over thin pipes. You'd want those cached, even though they look local.

I suppose you could use cached: only for local filesystems you wanted to cache, but I doubt the uncached: would be a frequent problem; most people will have far more remote archives than local ones.

Aaron