Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] .listing files
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:58:47 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > I can't see that it would cause any harm; it's just one small
    > invisible file per directory in tree few people ever look at...

On the contrary.  Anyone looking at the directory over http is looking
at the file and depending upon its accuracy, which can not be
transactionally guaranteed (hence `archive-fixup').

Additionally, it complicates backups, security provisions and so
forth.

Actually, James:  for security reasons, the answer is no.  GNU Arch
will not create .listing files by default.