[Gnu-arch-users] initial tla/ windows experience

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] initial tla/ windows experience
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:52:58 +1000

We have two developers - one GNU one Windows.

We decided to centralize change propagation through an arch@ hat (unix
user and arch repository) pivot point.

We decided to share the windows developers' home dirs through samba, and
rsync their samba share (eg. y: drive) to their C: drive for offline use
(and so eclipse runs on their local C: drive for speed).

Hub and spokes.

'Dumb' windows client.

The main problem is symlinks: because the home dir is being shared
through samba, directory symlinks turn into directories. The result of
this is a limitation on what we can have in our tree.

An alternative would be to use tar on the server, and transfer this and
untar within cygwin environment. That would of course avoid the SAMBA
share step, but require a bit more scripting to automate (you don't want
to do that back and forth for each commit/ star merge, etc).

Other than that, it seems reasonably workable.

cheers
zen

--
Homepage: http://www.soulsound.net/
Please respect the confidentiality of this email as sensibly warranted.