Re: [Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing l

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing log]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:57:51 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
[...]

OK, I have changed my log, and the md5/checksum (didn't get
your email in time sorry).

I don't suppose I can easily revert these hacked files?

Or alternatively fix it so "tla logs" actually displays
according to the log?

I feel like my archive is permanently tainted now, somehow
dirty - I didn't realise this was such a bad thing to do.

If anyone knows, be much appreciated,
Zen

Well, it's not *that* bad. If tla still works, you're probably okay. Just make sure that you can do a tla get of your entire tree.

The problem with changing history, is if it ever existed in another archive (do to a mirror), or in a revlib, or in a pristine, those all need to be removed. Otherwise you have conflicting history. So you can get away with it, as long as nobody knows. :)

Just avoid it in the future because of all these problems. Since you sound like you're just starting out, it's pretty likely that you only have one archive, don't have it mirrored lots of places yet, and you know where any revlibs/pristines are that you can delete them.

If you did corrupt the archive such that a 'tla get' doesn't work, you can always delete the last revision completely. You just have to go back and add the directories "++revision-lock/+contents" into the previous patch. (The last revision in an archive has this file, and renaming it is how tla achieves super-fancy guaranteed file locking. If you delete it, tla will refuse to commit, thinking that someone else has the lock.)

John
=:->