Re: [Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing l

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla undo - tla commit eats existing log]
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:56:25 +1000

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 13:57, John Meinel wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > OK, I have changed my log, and the md5/checksum (didn't get
> > your email in time sorry).
> >
> > I don't suppose I can easily revert these hacked files?
> >
> > Or alternatively fix it so "tla logs" actually displays
> > according to the log?
> >
> > I feel like my archive is permanently tainted now, somehow
> > dirty - I didn't realise this was such a bad thing to do.
> >
> > If anyone knows, be much appreciated,
> > Zen
> >

> Well, it's not *that* bad. If tla still works, you're probably okay.
> Just make sure that you can do a tla get of your entire tree.
>
> The problem with changing history, is if it ever existed in another
> archive (do to a mirror), or in a revlib, or in a pristine, those all
> need to be removed. Otherwise you have conflicting history. So you can
> get away with it, as long as nobody knows. :)
>
> Just avoid it in the future because of all these problems. Since you
> sound like you're just starting out, it's pretty likely that you only
> have one archive, don't have it mirrored lots of places yet, and you
> know where any revlibs/pristines are that you can delete them.

Well, tla get works, which is very reassuring.

Is there a problem with editing history if there is a subsequent
changeset in my archive?

Firstly, from within .../patch-43/ I edited log and checksum.

Firstly log, to make the summary reasonable, then ran md5sum
against log, and inserted its output into checksum (replacing
the old checksum).

Then I blew away my current two working trees and ran
"tla get $zenat tla", "cd tla" and ran "tla logs -scD".
The output includes the following:

patch-42
    2004-09-22 05:48:23 GMT      Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>
    arch patch-3 + misc
patch-43
    2004-09-23 02:02:50 GMT      Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>
patch-44
    2004-09-23 03:33:38 GMT      Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>
    new: conf/alii for archives aliases; fix: bad usrname propagation; DEBUG2 =
true

So it appears that after all that, the log still hasn't
changed somewhere. Any idea what is getting away from me?

tia
zen