[Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Newbie-ized help"

From: John S. Yates, Jr.
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: "Newbie-ized help"
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:02:15 -0400

"Stefan Monnier" <address@hidden> writes:

> > I'm sure it is a killer feature :) What I'm not so sure about is: Is it
> > newbie feature? Would newbies, typically coming from a CVS background,
use
> > star-merge constructively, or are they better off with update? I ask,
> > because I don't know.
>
> I *never* use update.
> Instead, I just use `tla star-merge --three-way' which works just like
> CVS does.

No one is going to find his way to arch simply as a replacement for CVS.
If that is all he seeks SVN is just too polished and prominent for arch
to compete.  To my mind he will investigate arch for one of two reasons:

1) distributed development

2) changeset orientation

That being the case the newbie help should expose enough functionality
for our newbie to have a satisfying experience with either methodology.
You are undercutting the argument for arch if you encourage habits that
later have to be broken in order to experience arch's true power.

/john