[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Link with permissions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Link with permissions
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:48:06 +0900

address@hidden (James Blackwell) writes:
> What will you say to the people that are currently using arch to back up
> things like /etc and /home ?
>
> There's at least a couple people that distribute their /home/usrname
> across several machines by using arch.

Yeah.  I've notice recently that many people seem to be thinking this
way "hey if I don't need it, nobody does!"

It _would_ be useful if there were some way to declare which bits you cared
about in a particular project, e.g., {arch}/=perm-bits-i-care-about.  It
might work like: (1) have the other, `don't care', bits all turned on in
the archive, (2) ignore the don't-care bits for comparisons, and (3) use
umask to set the don't-care bits upon file creation.

-Miles
--
((lambda (x) (list x x)) (lambda (x) (list x x)))