Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Link with permissions

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Link with permissions
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:29:06 +0200

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 10.14, Miles Bader wrote:

> Well to be fair, you haven't actually given any concrete examples
> of your "more generic way", just waved your hands vaguely.

I said that, for instance, access rights could be recorded in a
version controlled file of the project tree under Arch control.
Here are more concrete examples.

For a tree meant to be deployed on a UNIX machine, e.g. /home/alice
or /etc, the file would map inventory IDs to (owner, group, perm)
such as:

directories       root root 00755      # default for directories
files             root root 00644      # default for files
 <inventory id 1> root disk 00660
 <inventory id N> root root 04755

This list could be created based on an existing deployed tree with a
shell script using basically 'tla inventory' and 'ls'.

For tree meant to be deployed on a Windows NT machine, the file
would have another format, but since I am rather ignorant about
Windows ACLs, I can just do some vague hand waving here.

Now, for the cases when one needs to automatically apply these
access rights to a _project tree_ (in contrast to a deployed tree),
one would need a hook called after any tla operation that modifies
the project tree.

Also, the tool that actually records or applies access rights must
not necessarily be part of tla.

Hope this is less vague and that it better illustrates what I meant
by more generic.

Robin