Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: hack request

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: hack request
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:07:22 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 08:42, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

* Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> [Oct 02, 2004 00:40]:

when I run "tla changes -scD --diffs|less", I'd love to have the feature
that the diff lines that contain the file names of the diffed files,
were in some color, like blue, so that they are highlighted, like
"ls --color" does.

Pipe it to vimless instead; provided you have vim around.  less.sh
(vimless) can be found in $VIMRUNTIME/macros/.

I edit in vim, and it syntax highlights rather nicely.

When I run the above (or Phil's version) it just comes up plain.

If I first pipe the output to "t.diff" then open that file in
vim, it does syntax highlight.

Anyone know if vim can be forced to syntax highlight when loading
from stdin?

If worst comes to worst, I can create the file and load it in vim
all within a function or something.

BTW, thanks for the very fast response.

tia
zen

Actually, you probably just want:
tla changes --diffs | vim -

view is probably aliased to vi, not to vim.

Raw vi doesn't do syntax highlighting.

But even if that doesn't work you can always type:
:set syntax=diff

Which tells vim to do 'diff' style syntax highlighting.

John
=:->