Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 01:26:22 -0400

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:03:16AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> arch should provide binary semantics for objects it manages,
> attributes for each object, and a way to plug in an attribute-
> dependent codec on the client.  Toolchains/platforms/projects should
> provide their own codecs, which the arch project could accept as
> "contrib" and maintain a library, but should not "support" as part
> of arch.

This is the sort of thing I meant -- basically, *if* it was going
to be linked into arch at all, it should be at a very extensible
API distance, and deal with all sorts of things above and beyond
just CRLFs.

This is also (potentially) what I meant when I said that the future
tla might be more cross-platform -- simply that the core would
'understand' the need for customisable meta/data-munging, and allow
plug-ins the flexibility they need to do it.

Of course, the quick and dirty way is to just hack together one- or
two-purpose non-comprehensive minitools that work outside arch
altogether.  Hence my statement that it needed a separate program, a
lot of thought, or (preferably) both. :)