Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 02:53:27 +0900

    Robert> I think it would be a good thing if a login was
    Robert> required. What do you guys think?

Something I've thought about in a different context is a pseudo-
moderation set up.  Back the wiki with something like arch, the edits
go into a branch which is visible on the wiki but only to people who
click on the link to "unpublished edits", and tell robots (including
Google) not to index it.

Obviously this requires a human moderator, but what we could do is use
a site-wide changes (if the site is big enough, we'd optimize by
keeping a list of touched files), and then have a Mailman
approval-like page which gives the diffs by file, with the diffs
themselves in a smallish scroll window.  Since the only purpose is to
filter spam, the human moderator doesn't have a huge job, they
generally don't have to look at more than the first few lines.

It's not a great idea, but maybe somebody will see a way to make it
into one.  There's something elegant about making sure the bastards
never get into print.  ;-)