Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:51:53 +0900

    >> Results?  Results measure results, that's all.  This _is_
    >> useful; all serious athletes own stopwatches (or other
    >> appropriate measuring instruments), you know.

    Zenaan> Do you deny there are side effects to such constant
    Zenaan> measuring (and the humiliation that results from
    Zenaan> publishing those measurements) that may in many cases have
    Zenaan> a net deleterious effect on individuals?

No.  (And "no" to all the similar questions.)

My point is not that the current system is _good_.  The point is that
any transition will be remarkably costly in itself, and that the kinds
of education you advocate are inherently _far_ more costly on an
ongoing basis than the current system.  Not in dollars; in terms like
"induce Tom to give up Arch development, and teach software
engineering instead".  The teachers have to come from somewhere, and
we know that they can't be mass-produced by the current system of
colleges of education.  To justify that cost requires some reason to
believe that the benefits will exceed the cost.

Neither you nor (based on your reporting) the sources you cite provide
much reason to believe that the effectiveness would be spectacularly
higher for the majority of the population, and no estimate whatsover
of the costs.