Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes --diffs question
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:43:17 -0600

Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 11:04:33AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

. . .

because it allows tla 1.2 write in 1.2.1 repositories even though in
1.2.1 files are no longer all considered binary and CR LF is
   modified on commit to LF.

. . .

Another small problem that I noticed is that tla 1.2 can't access
1.2.1 archives completely,

I think there's a misunderstanding here.  I've been scratching my head
reading this thread because I seemed to be getting mixed messages.

I think what has happened is that andreif has used 1.2.1, and so far it is still working for him. When he tried to go back to 1.2, it failed, so he decided to stay with 1.2.1.

I'm warning him that 1.2.1 has a critical bug in it that results in a corrupted archive. And while for right now he might be getting away with it as long as he uses 1.2.1, it will probably bite him in the end.

However, Lode just posted that he added the "--binary" flag to diff, so the latest tla-cygwin-1.2.1 (as in posted today Nov 8) probably has this bug fixed. I haven't had time to try it out to confirm this, though.

But yes, I would say don't use the *old* 1.2.1, but the new one might be okay. I would certainly recommend that you switch over to it as soon as possible.

I'm not sure if this will expose some corruption in your archive, though. If so, I can think of 1 or 2 dirty little tricks to get your archive corrected, but the easiest one might just be to start over with a new archive.

John
=:->