[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Archives vs. categories vs. versions

From: Anand Kumria
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Archives vs. categories vs. versions
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:27:10 +1100

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:11:31 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>> if you really got into arch, everyone would probably have their own
>> archive, and you would just have the main archive as a centralization
>> point.
>
> Right. And speaking of this centralized archive, any best practices on how
> to setup? Like naming, location, permissions, etc.

Most of this is covered in the wiki

I have setup a number of places using the Shared Archive model over
as per "Using shared SFTP archives set g+ws without patching SSH".

Each developer has their own private archive which they use for temporary
things -- or things which might take a long time before they incorporated
into 'shared mainline'.

Each developer uses a year suffix, since it is temporary but our shared
archive is organised on a client (sometimes project basis). That'll
probably mean in a few years the shared archive will have a large number
of revisions.

But by then I expect that will have improved / hardware gotten cheaper
than it won't matter. Or, I might have won the lottery.

Cheers,
Anand

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux