Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:06:35 -0600

Johannes Berg wrote:
On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 16:21 +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:

You can browse a "_darcs" directory of a small project here to obverse
the structure:

http://mark.stosberg.com/darcs_hive/cgi-app/_darcs/

The patches appear to be gzip compressed plain text files (dunno how it
handles binary files), which already contain meta information (for
example the comments). So I'd think adding a patch checksum that is
signed would be trivial.

johannes

See the comment by:
Juliusz Chroboczek <address@hidden>

It turns out that patches might be modified as part of applying them to your tree. (The whole idea of commutativity, etc for darcs.)

So patches aren't constant. Now, I wonder if they are constant after they are applied. (To apply a patch you might have to modify it, but don't after that.)

In that case, the patches could be signed, and then after they are applied, they are signed again by the new person.

A little bit of overhead, but still you could keep signatures on the patches.

I suppose you could also do something like include a signature history or something...

John
=:->