[Gnu-arch-users] Unsucessful application of patches, without any error

From: James Livingston
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Unsucessful application of patches, without any error
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 22:21:18 +1000

G'day everyone,

Since I originally asked about this on #arch, I discovered that whatever
was causing the problem seems to have been fixed in 1.2.1. I've still
got a couple of question that I can't find an answer to on the web, or
in the the list archives.

Originally a couple of us who are hacking on Rhythmbox were having
issues with recent versions from one of the RB branches. After figuring
out which patch was causing the problem I sat down and tried to
determine what was going wrong.

A sort time ago (after I asked on #arch) I noticed that the column of
the tla output which reports what was done to the file (M=modified,
C=conflict, etc) was giving "?M" for two of the files touched by this
particular patch when using tla 1.2.0, but the normal "M" on any later
version.

I can't find any description of what "?M" means, but the results were
that those particular files didn't get modified - yet tla didn't report
any error and continued applying later patches.

Could anyone tell me what the "?M" means, and why it would fail to apply
the patch successfully yet continue without any error?

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is *not* for you.