Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Unsucessful application of patches, without any err

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Unsucessful application of patches, without any error
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 12:59:21 -0500

James Livingston wrote:
On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 09:54 -0500, John A Meinel wrote:

James Livingston wrote:

And does the id for the patch have a quote (', ") in them? I believe
there was also a change to how quotes were handled in ids.

If the id is the "arch-tag" bit at the top of every file (I'm kind of a
newbie at Arch), then yes - those two files do have double-quote in
their ids. I'm not sure why the problem wouldn't have shown up with any
other patch that changes one of those files (they've been around for a
fair while), but it would help to explain the problem.

I think what happened is that he upgraded his version of tla, which
started to generate the new format of patches. Yes "arch-tag: " is the id.
If you look at the "mod-files-index" in the changeset, you will see:

./sources/rb-sourcelist.c
i_Implementation_of_main_\"Sources\"_display_widget

Notice that in that changeset, there is \" for the quotes. I believe
earlier versions of tla interpret this literally as 2 characters, while
later versions understand that it is an escaped quotation mark.

If you know of an earlier patch which modifies the same file, you can do:

tla get-changeset \
  address@hidden/rhythmbox--bugs--0.9--<the-patch> ,p
cat ,p/mod-files-index
And you should see that the " is not escaped.

This is more for your edification than anything.

John
=:->

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston