Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla tag: tag-version rev wrong?

From: Marco Mililotti
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla tag: tag-version rev wrong?
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:56:08 +0200

Hi-

Matthieu Moy wrote:
You should have a look at http://bazaar.canonical.com/ too.
OK.
PS:
I've removed (with a simple "/bin/rm -rf") the "prj--release--a.b" version that has been created by tag -S, and repeated the process many times, but with the same end result!

The short version: NEVER EVER DO THAT.

The longer version: http://wiki.gnuarch.org/Changing_20History

Since tla maintains a local cache (revision libraries, pristine
trees, ...), deleting and recreating a branch with the same name has
catastrophic effects. Your problem probably comes from here.
Okay, I've done that many times!
I was needing a way to remove the branch!
I didn't know what else I have to remove when removing a branch (since I've no revision libraries and didn't know of the use of pristine trees made by tla).

Now that I've removed all the pristine trees, I've recreated a correct version of the "release" branch. However "Changing_20History" is an interesting reading, thank you.

I hope now my branches will evolve without other troubles.

Regards,
-- Marco