[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:18:42 +0000 (UTC)

Matthieu Moy <Matthieu.Moy <at> imag.fr> writes:
> Nathaniel Smith <njs <at> pobox.com> writes:
>
> > You may be interested in checking out monotone ( http://venge.net/monotone
> > );
> > it's basically similar to git and hg
>
> ... except for speed. I never used it, but Linus started git because
> he thought monotone was too slow.

I'm aware :-).  Monotone is not as fast as git or hg.  OTOH, it is much
faster than when Linus tried it.  (Aside from general "correctness
before speed" philosophies, he managed to be the first to hit a small
but spectacular peformance bug.)  People use it to get real work done
projects the size of, e.g., Mozilla:
  http://blog.vlad1.com/archives/2005/07/24/62/

There are still some issues -- most notably the "initial pull" bug,
where initial repository clones take far longer than they should --
that are being actively worked on.  Not necessarily for everybody yet.
But seemed worth mentioning as worth a look... especially since parent
post insisted on directory rename...

-- Nathaniel