gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] Proposal for a small build-system change

From: Raif S. Naffah
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] Proposal for a small build-system change
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:39:56 +1000

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:02 am, Morgon Kanter wrote:
> I've noticed that there is a lot of needless copying being done when
> one of the init.sh scripts is run for which build you wish to do. Not
> only is this needless, if you run one of these in the top-level
> source directory, it is impossible to reverse without untarring the
> sources again.

that's why we do it outside.  this way one can safely rm -rf * in that
directory and run an init.sh and start again.

>... It is very difficult to build a debian package in a
> directory other than the top-level source directory, so here is what
> I propose. I think this makes the entire thing a lot cleaner anyway.
>
> We currently have the "default" build files in the top-level source
> directory, and when that init.sh is run, they are copied to your
> current location. I think that instead we should create a new
> subdirectory, called "default", "builddefault", or "buildinit", or
> something that makes sense, and move all of these files that the
> default build uses and other builds overwrite there.
>
> Then, create symlinks to the top-level source directory from these
> files back to the same filenames. That way, it is still the "default"
> build. Now, when we run an init.sh, it will first remove these
> symlinks, and then create new ones from the respective build files.
> For example:
>
> 1. First, we have the default build files already, symlinks to
> initbuild/filenames.
> 2. We want the GCJ build files. We run gcj/init.sh
> 3. gcj/init.sh removes all these symlinks from the current directory
> 4. gcj/init.sh creates new symlinks in the current directory to the
> files in the gcj/ subdirectory.
>
> This gives us the advantage that we can reversably call any init.sh
> from the top-level source directory and it is easily reversable and
> cleanable. No files will be overwritten as they would be if cp -f
> was used. This doesn't require a big change to the init.sh scripts -
> just replace cp -f with ln -s
>
> This is my proposal. It will make creating the debian package for
> gnu-crypto a -LOT- easier, as well as make the whole build system
> cleaner.

wouldnt be as easy to have a debian-specific init.sh that copies
whatever is needed to a destination directory, with whatever files are
required, and do the lot there?

i'm interested in hearing Casey's opinion too, since he'll be confronted
(may be) with a similar situation for Gentoo.

> Morgon

- --
cheers;
rsn