gnu-crypto-discuss

[GNU Crypto] JLDAP and Sasl - Shared code?

From: Matthew Gregory <address@hidden>
Subject: [GNU Crypto] JLDAP and Sasl - Shared code?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:22:14 +0000 (Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page)

I came across this issue while attempting to compile gnu-crypto.  I
started getting errors saying that there was an undefined symbol in
javax.security.Sasl but when checking the source the symbol was there.
Then I decided to search for a duplicate class in my classpath and
indeed I found it.  The duplicate class was in the jldap code.

What's more, while examining the source for both classes it was
self-evident that one class had been derived from the other.

This isn't the way things are supposed to be done.  Either software is
developed from scratch (not the case here) or software should credit the
original source (also not the case here).

I have a questions and requests.

1.) Who is the author of this code?  Who is the maintainer?  Who is
responsible for updates?  I need these questions answered so that I can
point to an authoritative source and so that the code has
accountability.

2.) Whoever is not the author or the maintainer needs to drop or merge
their copy and the reference the other copy.  Or they need to fork the
source and move it to a different package base.  It's pretty frigging
hard to use two packages, both of which I need, when there isn't
collaborative development.

Matthew Gregory Sr @ address@hidden && address@hidden
1107 Crooked Oak Dr.
Lenoir City, TN 37771