Re: [GNU-linux-libre] choosealicense.com fork with better wording, perha

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] choosealicense.com fork with better wording, perhaps ?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 17:02:16 -0400

"Riley Baird (Orthogonal)" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 05/08/14 12:10, Felipe Sanches wrote:
>> Is there something similar to http://choosealicense.com/ but with language
>> better aligned to the mission of the free software movement ?
>
> I don't know, but personally, I think that a fork over something like
> this would be a bad idea. We don't fork every program that uses the word
> "Linux" instead of "GNU/Linux" to refer to the operating system in its
> documentation, for example. If you're concerned about it, perhaps you
> could write to the maintainer and ask them to use neutral terms (e.g.
> "FLOSS" instead of "OSS" on their main page).

Well, there are a lot of other problems with the license chooser in
addition to that. It is pretty anti-copyleft. We submitted a patch to
fix the factual description of the GPL and it was rejected.

For example, the choice to present the GPL's protections as
restrictions/requirements is a loaded one.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.