Re: [GNU-linux-libre] choosealicense.com fork with better wording, perha

From: Riley Baird
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] choosealicense.com fork with better wording, perhaps ?
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 07:09:20 +1000

On 20/08/14 06:58, Jason Self wrote:
> Riley Baird said:
>> For someone who hasn't decided whether they care about free software
>> or open source (or both), it would help them to make their mind up
>> without feeling that they are reading propaganda.
>
> Framing copyleft as a restriction is often propaganda used by the
> anti-copyleft crowd though so the site already contains some of that.

But, like ag ag01 said, it is still a restriction, in the same way that
the government forbids murder. Most people would react well to being
told that their freedom to murder would be taken from them, because it
would mean that they would live in a safer society. You could use this
line of reasoning to convince people that copyleft is a good idea.

Also, it is worth noting that even the preamble to the GPL acknowledges
that it is imposing restrictions: "To protect your rights, we need to
make restrictions that forbid anyone to deny you these rights or to ask
you to surrender the rights."