Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "Ephemeral Propagation"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- "Ephemeral Propagation"
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:23:03 +0200

Ephemeral Propagation

Some have expressed concern that our technical restrictions provisions
would extend to such cases as the ordinary use of a walkup Internet
kiosk. We do not believe ephemeral propagation of this sort should
amount to “conveying” anywhere, and are confident that it is not
conveying under United States copyright law. Nevertheless, we have
sought in Draft 3 to satisfy such concerns by making clear that the
requirement to provide Installation Information applies only in the
case of conveying of object code that “occurs as part of a transaction
in which the right of possession and use . . . is transferred to the
recipient in perpetuity or for a fixed term.” The particular
characterization of the transaction is immaterial; the requirements
cover, for example, outright sales, long-term leases, and installment
purchases of User Products.
------

regards,
alexander.

--
"FORM 990, PART II, LINE 25 - OFFICER COMPENSATION SCHEDULE
                                         PROGRAM  MANAGMENT

 EBEN MOGLEN
    COMPENSATION:                        116,875.     38,959."

                          -- SOFTWARE FREEDOM LAW CENTER, INC.