Re: Bye - Bye , open source derivative works litigation

From: chrisv
Subject: Re: Bye - Bye , open source derivative works litigation
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:01:05 -0600

Hyman Rosen wrote:

>On 2/11/2010 3:14 PM, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>>
>> The GPL seeks to deny creators of contributions forming derivative work
>> their copyright ownership in the sense that contributors are purportedly
>> impeded to license their copyright as they see fit and should use the
>> GPL and only the GPL instead.
>
>This is generally correct. Since those creators of derivative
>works do not have the right to create them without permission
>of the rights holders, caviling at the restrictions is pointless.
>The restrictions are known, and if they are not acceptable to the
>author who wishes to create a derivative work, then he should not
>create that work.

Man, you have the patience of a saint, dealing with these
mental-midget trolling assholes "Alexander Terekhov" and "RJack".

The "Alexander" POS actually claims that someone becomes a co-author
of something when they "agree and intend to do so", without needing
the agreement of the original author(s) - that they then obtain
legal/copyright authority over the entire work, equal to the original
author(s), in spite of the original aouthor(s) wishes and the fact
that the original work is copyrighted and released under the GPL.

I wonder how the fsckwit "Alexander" would feel if I claimed
co-ownership of his house, because I "agree and intend to do so" and
"contribute" by planting a tree in the yard, regardless of what he
wants.  Maybe I should then be able to sell, or give, rights to the
house to Microsoft!  Fsck the rights of the originator!

Sheesh!

I mean, what the HELL is so hard about the GPL and the concept of "if
you don't like the terms, DON'T USE THE CODE".