Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] Inheritance?

From: Scott Ballantyne
Subject: Re: [Gnu-music-discuss] Inheritance?
Date: 21 Sep 2000 17:24:32 -0000

> The remark is all the more puzzling since \property is dynamically
> scoped: by doing a staff-switch, you can change the \property value
> that a voice sees.

Interesting. As I said, I'm ignorant. Clearly extremely ignorant. Here
are some things I would like to do, the third example is something I
would want to do today, if possible. The others are things that are
looming in my future.

I want to set cues in a parts. I want to use these the same files to
set a full orchestral score, but I don't want the cues to appear in
the orchestral score, I want either rests, and if the line is
completely rests, I want it to disappear, automagically, depending on
whether something is being set as a part or as a score. What's the
easiest way to allow an end user to define a 'something' that will do
this.

A similar example: I want to set a piece of piano chamber music. I
want the piano part to have all the other instrumental parts, in
'urtext' style, i.e., no fingerings, bowings, expression marks,
etc. The solo parts themselves will be edited, with fingerings,
bowings, expression marks, etc. I want to use the same files to do
both of these tasks. What's the easiest way to allow an end user to
define a 'something#2' that will do this?

Here's something else, something I could actually use today. I have
about 100 meausres of polyphonic solo string music, in a
lilypond file structured like this:

first = \notes\relative c {
      <
      \context Voice = vone {
               notes
       }
      \context Voice = vtwo {
               notes
       }

}

second = \notes\relatie c {
      <
      \context Voice = vone {
               notes
       }
      \context Voice = vtwo {
               notes
       }

}

three, four, etc, through nine. Each one of these structures has the
same organization and I'm doing

\score {
        \notes \context Voice {
           \time 4/4;
           \clef treble;
           \first \bar "||";
           \second \bar "||";
           \third \bar "||";
           \fourth \bar "||";
           \fifth \bar "||";
           \sixth \bar "||";
           \seventh \bar "||";
           \eight \bar "||";
           \ninth \bar "|.";
     }
}

To print them. Now I'm faced with the following situation: I need to
repeat these hundred measures, and each vone should be moved one fifth
down, each vtwo should be moved one fifth up. Presently, everything in
vone (slurs, fingerings, etc.) is printed above the staff, and the
opposite for vtwo. Now vtwo needs to have these above the staff, and
vone below the staff.

How would one do this?

sdb