Re: Error in building lily 1.3.135

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: Error in building lily 1.3.135
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:01:41 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, José Romildo Malaquias wrote:

> > > The output of the latest is attached. Basicaly, mktextfm
> > > is trying to write to the /usr/local/share/lilypond dir:
> > >
> > >   mktextfm --destdir /usr/local/share/ lilypond/tfm  feta16
> > >
>   Running mktextfm --destdir /usr/local/share/lilypond/tfm  cmr8
>   [...]

I was playing with it last night because I ran into similar problems when
I tried to build the Debian package.  :-)

I am away from my home computer at the moment, but from my memory, here is
what I did:

 1. Edit lily/kpath.cc, and there is a line in the ly_init_kpath()  (??)
    function that looks something like
    this:

           kpse_???_tfm[?????????].??????? =
                (????DATADIR "tfm");

    (as I said, I was doing it from memory... :-)  Anyway, what I did was
    that I added a colon after tfm, so it now looks like:

           kpse_???_tfm[?????????].??????? =
                (????DATADIR "tfm:");

    where the colon is so that the default search paths are also searched
    after /usr/local/share/lilypond/tfm.

 2. Edit make/lilypond-vars.make and add

        export TFMFONTS=$(outdir)/mf/out:

    Yes, note the colon at the end also.  Very important.

What this does, essentially, is to set the search paths for *.tfm to
something like these, in the following order:

        $(outdir)/lilypond-1.3.135/mf/out
        /usr/local/share/lilypond/tfm    <-- the ???DATADIR
        .                          <-- current directory
        ~/texmf//
        /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts//   <-- recursive?

and whatever other paths that are listed in your default teTeX
installation.

I will provide the patch later when I get home.  I was still experimenting
with it, but my computer crashed again... (I have been having problems
with this Siemens-Fujitsu thinclient for some time now... not sure why...)

So, what do these changes really do?  First, we assume that you have
already run "make" so that the *.tfm in mf/out/ are already created, so
when you make the documentation, the TFMs will be searched there first,
and unless something is wrong, they should be found there.  :-)

The /usr/local/share/lilypond/tfm is what Han-Wen originally intended as a
temporary solution; I guess that assumes that the lilypond binaries have
already been installed into the system, and that the user has root access.
(He did note in kpath.cc that these *.tfm should probably be generated in
under /var and not /usr...)

And the rest of the system search paths are there to make sure the
Computer Modern fonts' TFMs are also found too instead of re-generating
them, as you discovered.

No, I didn't apply mktexnam-patch because i was too lazy and
I wasn't sure what the patch does besides making the code looks nicer.
And it seems that mktexnam/mktextfm/mktexpk etc. work fine with the patch.
Of course, I could be wrong.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
address@hidden, address@hidden    University of Alberta, Canada